Postcard of Heylipol Church
Courtesy of Mr Angus Munn
Known locally as ‘Eaglais na Mòintich’ (Moss Church), the church was built in 1902, replacing a former church building erected on the site in the 19th century. The name Heylipol is derived from the Norse for Holy Town suggesting early Christian settlement in the area.
Designed by William MacKenzie, the church is of cruciform Gothic design with a bell tower over the entrance porch. Externally it is faced with dressed granite from a local quarry. The pews can accommodate 365 worshippers.
The pulpit has wooden panels carved by boys from a woodwork class organised by Lady Victoria Campbell, daughter of the 8th Duke of Argyll, a benefactress to the people of Tiree in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Black and white postcard of Heylipol Church.