Two postmen in the late 19th century
Photograph of two postmen in the late 19th century.
Courtesy of Mr Alasdair Sinclair
This photograph taken the late 19th century shows two unknown postmen from the east end of Tiree. In the 1880s the first internal posts were delivered on foot from the main post office in Scarinish to Middleton, Island House and Gott.
In the 1890s these three foot posts were upgraded to horse posts and a further four horse posts were established from Scarinish to Balemartine, Cornaig and Ruaig and from Crossapol to Kenovay. The foot posts were extended to Vaul, Hough and Odhrasgair and in 1906 to Hynish and Caoles.
After World War II the network of foot and horse posts were gradually replaced with the familiar red post vans.
Black and white photograph of two east end postmen.
Two unknown postmen from the east end of Tiree, possibly Brock, taken in the late 19th century.