The remains of St Patrick’s Chapel
Photograph of the remains of St Patrick’s Chapel on Kennavara.
Courtesy of Mr Donald MacKinnon
St Patrick’s Chapel, or Teampull Phàraig as it is known in Gaelic, lies on the Balephuil side of Kennavara within an irregular enclosure measuring one third of an acre. On the north and east boundaries are four scarped platforms, possibly the sites of huts. The site was probably a cashel or monastery of the Early Christian period.
The chapel stands in the south-west quarter of the enclosure and measures some 8 by 3.4 metres. Only part of the east gable survives; the rest of the walls are turf-covered footings. Against the centre of the east wall are the remains of an altar-base roughly one metre square. The visible masonry is of lime-mortared local rubble.
The Statistical Account of 1794 recorded that the walls stood 1.7 metres high. According to Ada Goodrich-Freer in her book ‘Outer Isles’, in 1898 the walls were ‘ruthlessly thrown down by two idle lads “for amusement”’.
Black and white photograph of St Patrick`s Chapel on Kennavara.
St Patrick`s Chapel on Kennavara.