George Holleyman at Hough
Photograph of George Holleyman FSA at the stone circle at Hough.
Courtesy of Ms Linda Gowans
George Holleyman is pictured during World War II standing beside the only remaining upright stone of a stone circle at Hough. A keen prehistoric archaeologist, he was posted to the RAF Station in Tiree in 1941 where he was to remain for two and a half years.
During this period, he travelled around the island capturing on camera a way of life that has since disappeared. He also collected numerous bronze objects, Stone Age flints and Iron Age pottery shards from sites at Balevullin, Kilmoluaig and Balephuil which he donated to An Iodhlann in 2000.
An antiquarian bookseller in Brighton, he will be best remembered for his archaeological work on the late Bronze Age sites at Pumpton Plain and Itford Hill in the Sussex downs. He was made a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries in 1949.