Black and white postcard of Heanish hospital.
The fever hospital on Heanish machair. Built in 1905 of corrugated iron over a wooden frame, it contained a two-bedded ward at either end with a kitchen, nurse`s room and bathroom in the centre. It was first used within months of opening when two families went down with diphtheria. By 1927, Dr Hunter reported it was only occasionally used and it was let out to a family on the condition that they vacated it at once if needed for patients. The hospital was last used in the 1940s, then let to Council roadmen and finally sold as a private house in the 1960s.