Collection of papers and notes made by An Iodhlann’s former genealogist, Duncan Grant, Brock, about the Camerons of Tiree who emigrated to Fergus Township in Wellington County, Ontario, Cananda. Includes a family tree, photographs of descendants Hugh Cameron (the donor) and his wife Doreen, a photograph of the homestead and maps of its location, and a booklet ‘Moods of the River’ about Glen Almond, Wellington.
Book ‘Historical Atlas of Wellington County’, published by the Historical Atlas Publishing Company, Toronto, Canada, 1906. Includes a summarised history of Wellington County, maps of named land-holdings by township, and histories of each landowner. John Cameron’s name and land-holding is circled on a map of Nichol Township on page 87. We presume that he has Tiree ancestry. He is also mentioned on page 18 as the son of Andrew Cameron (Invernesshire), who first held the land.
Book ‘A History of West Garafraxa Township’ signed by the author, Jean F Hutchinson, 1990. Established in 1869, West Garafraxa is a former township in Wellington County, Ontario, Canada, and was home to some of the earliest European settlers, including some from Tiree. The book includes a list of Family Heads, accounts of residents and their families, photographs, and maps of named apportionments of land in 1877. Tiree is mentioned on page 143 as the origin of ‘The Crofters’ who settled in Canada the 1850’s and spoke only Gaelic. Duncan Cameron of Tiree (1795-1866) arrived in Canada in 1849, settling at Garafraxa in 1853 with his wife Christy MacLean and their first child Effie. Includes accounts of their eight children and six grandchildren.
An obituary for the author was found between the pages.
Canteen of silver and stainless steel cutlery presented to Archie MacIntyre, Gott, for his sheep at the 1959 Agricultural Show. A silver plaque on the top of the canteen reads ‘Presented by Tiree Association, Tiree Agricultural Show, 1959’. Contains 31 pieces made by Duncan & Scobrie, Sheffield.
Model of a west coast fishing village in a bottle, including houses, a three-masted sailing ship and a dipping lug sail boat. Made by Sam Stevenson, Scarinish, in the 1940s.