60th anniversary souvenir edition of NHS Glasgow’s ‘Health News’ newspaper, July 2008, containing articles and photographs from the birth of the NHS in 1948 to 2008. Most folk on Tiree will have used Glasgow’s hospital facilities at some time over the decades, and many took up positions in nursing there. The paper provides an insight into health care at that time. From ‘Harbour’, Caoles.
Scanned copy of a newspaper obituary for Captain Allan Campbell (b. ca 1900), Scarinish, in around 1980. Allan Campbell was a deep-sea mariner all his life, including serving in the Merchant Navy during WWII.
Click here to view 2020.52.6
Scanned copies of five letters to a Scottish newspaper in 1970, discussing the meaning and origin of the word ‘teuchter’, which is old slang for a rural worker. Correspondents are Donald G Mackenzie (Stevenston), Hugh Cattenach (Glenfinnan), A H MacAlpin (East Kilbride), Angus Macintyre (Tobermory) and Renwick H Leitch (Skelmorlie).
Click here to view 2020.52.4
Typed article about ‘Buildings of Tiree’ written by Geoffrey Stell in around 1970.
Colour photograph of a model ship in a bottle, ‘The Mary D’, made by Sam Stevenson, Crossapol. Sam Stevenson made several ships in bottles. ‘The Mary D’ is the last one he made. Courtesy of Monica Smith.
Large, carved, wooden lamp-shade made in the 1960s by Hugh MacDonald, Kenovay, for the Church of Scotland at Kirkapol. It was installed above the pulpit when electricity first became available on the island.