Large, carved, wooden lamp-shade made in the 1960s by Hugh MacDonald, Kenovay, for the Church of Scotland at Kirkapol. It was installed above the pulpit when electricity first became available on the island.
Booklet ‘Tiree 50 years ago’ composed of photocopied photographs, documents, notices and newspaper articles from 1968. Created in 2018 by An Iodhlann for Tigh a’ Rudha Eventide Home, Scarinish, to commemorate its 50th year since opening.
Thirty-eight colour slides of scenes of Tiree photographed by Harry Rutter, Balemartine, in the late 1950s-1960s. Harry planned to make postcards of the images for sale from his shop in Balemartine. Scenes include beaches, townships, Tiree Pipe Band, cattle show and the airport.
Transcript of a tribute to the artist Kirsty Laird (nee Noel-Paton; 1934-2019) given by her children at Mortonhall Crematorium in August 2019. Much of Kirsty’s art was inspired by Tiree, where she spent many years working from her house at Brock.
Booklet ‘Smuaintean bho Cheann a’ Bhara – Òrain agus bàrdachd le Niall M Brownlie’, 2016. A collection of Gaelic songs and poems written by Niall Brownlie, Barrapol (1925-2015), compiled by his niece, Flora MacKinnon.
Porthole from the WWII warship, HMS Sturdy, which was wrecked on rocks off Sandaig during a storm in 1940. The porthole has been re-painted by Donald Brown, Vaul, and decorated with a sketch of the ship. The stainless steel bolts and backing (made from an old fish box) were added by Donald.
Glass and metal glue dispenser from around 1930-1960. Possibly used at one of the island’s Post Offices for sticking down envelopes and stamps. The glue would have been dispensed by rolling the wheel along the surface.