Black & white photograph of Quentin M Henderson and his wife Mary Ann (Marianne) Henderson, with a cat and a dog, at Earnal in July 1929. The tin shed they are leaning against may be the one that Quentin built. It was then owned by Archie Livingstone, a plumber from Tobermory, and was later dismantled and sold to the father of Mona MacLean in Scarinish [possibly becoming the shop there].
Quintin McGill Henderson was born in Glasgow 1862. He worked as an electrical engineer. He retired around 1927 was last on the electoral roll for his home in Glasgow in 1928-29. In summer of 1929 he is recorded as living at Ernal, Scarinish, Isle of Tyree. Quintin died on 7 April 1934 at his daughter’s home in Glasgow. His second wife was Mary Ann Grant Callan, born in 1875 in Glasgow. She died in 1933 (information from his granddaughter Sheena Peckham).
Printed copy of full text for ‘Give us more land and give it to us now – demands for new crofts and Balephetrish after World War I’ by Bob Chambers, 2018. Includes images of letters written in 1919 to the secretary of the Board of Argiculture for Scotland from Cath MacKinnon, to Sir William Sutherland, MP for Argyllshire, from Archibald MacLean, and to an authority from Hector MacLean. (held digitally in An Iodhlann)
Hardback book`The Land of the Hills and the Glens` by Seton Gordon, 1920. Illustrated portrayal of the Hebrides and the west coast of Scotland (Tiree pages 158-167). On the inside front cover is written “For Peter Anderson. With best wishes from the Author. March 1921”. Peter Anderson was the first gamekeeper on Tiree, appointed in 1886.
Black & white photograph of Hugh Fullarton, son of Annie Cameron, Balevullin (ca 1880-1965), collecting water from the well on the other side of the bridge from Annie’s house in around 1965. The well was the water supply for the house. It is no longer visible.
Black & white photograph of a daughter and grandson of Annie Cameron, Balevullin (ca 1880-1965), in front of the shed belonging to Neil McNeil, in around 1965. The shed was adjacent to Annie’s house, which is just visible on the left. Annie moved to Greenock when she was young, although her children and grandchildren spent summers in the house until it was sold and demolished in around 2003.
Collection of 11 photographs (printed from pdf files) of the house and family of Annie Cameron, Balevullin (ca 1880-1965), and information from her grandson emailed in 2018. Three photos are catalogued separately under 2019.32.2 to 2019.32.4.
Black and white photograph of Peter MacLeod, Ruaig (b. 1933), with his wheelbarrow in the garden at the rear of Ruaig Schoolhouse in 1935/36. The barn in the background has since been converted to a house.
Peter MacLeod was born in Ruaig School house in 1933. His mother, Christina MacLeod (nee MacKinnon), was appointed teacher at Ruaig School about 1922/1923 after completing her training at Jordanhill College. His father, Robert MacLeod, was appointed Headmaster of Ruaig School in 1927/28, and they were married in 1930. Christina had a lifelong interest in gardening, and Peter was given the wheelbarrow to help his mother in the garden.