Scottish Land Court document, 1913, drawn up between the Duke of Argyll and Duncan MacDonald, Lower Caoles, regulating the use of storm-cast seaweed in Coales. Other names mentioned: Alexander MacLean (Snr), Caoles; Hugh MacLean, Caoles; John MacFadyen, Caoles; Hector MacDonald, Caoles; Lachlan MacLean, Caoles; Alexander MacLean (Jnr), Caoles; Hugh MacDiarmid (Factor), Island House; John Disselduff (Sheriff-Clerk Oban).
Scottish Land Court document, 1913, drawn up between the Duke of Argyll and Alexander Cameron, Miodar, Caoles, regulating the use of storm-cast seaweed in Coales. Other names mentioned: Isabella MacArthur, Harbour; Alexander MacArthur, Harbour; Alexander MacLean (Snr); Hugh MacLean; John MacFadyen; Hector MacDonald; Lachlan MacLean; Alexander MacLean (Jnr); Hugh MacDiarmid (Factor), Island House; John Disselduff (Sheriff-Clerk Oban).
Transcript of Flora MacDougall`s story “Footprints of One Bonnie Scotch Lassie”, which was published in `Autumn Leaves`, an American church newsletter in 1925. Flora (Miriam) was born on Tiree in 1825.
Click here to view 2009.130.2
Scanned images of a family bible given to Archie Walker, Moss, by his sister Catherine on 14 December 1916, and of three postcards (see 2016.64.2 to 4) from Donald Winn who was stationed at RAF Tiree during WWII. The bible was later given to Archie’s daughter Ann MacDonald Kennedy, who married Donald Winn, RAF Tiree. Other names written on the back inside cover of the bible are Mrs MacKinnon, Renfrew, Mr Donald Walker, Renfrew, Mr James McLellan, Inverness, and Miss A Tuseford, Derby. Size: 75 x 105 x 15 mm.
These items were brought to Tiree by Ann and Don’s daughter, Catriona Morag Laforge (nee Winn), Canada, during A’Bhuain – Tiree Homecoming in May 2016.
Newspaper cutting about a letter from the Marquis of Tullibardine, which was read out at the annual gathering of “the natives of Tiree” held in Glasgow around 1905. The letter/article regards Tiree’s inaccessibility and the lack of a good pier, how one might be funded while the island is up for sale, and whether the Congested Districts Board (1897-1911) could afford to pay for it. The Duke of Argyll attempted to sell Tiree in 1902. Several ministers born on Tiree are also mentioned: Rev. John MacLean, Glasgow, Rev. Hector MacKinnon, Campbeltown, and Rev. Charles Lamont, Saltcoats.
Click here to view 2016.63.1
Page from the Official Log Book and Account of Voyages and Crew of the Mary Stewart, 1916, giving the owner and master as Donald MacLean, Scarinish (b.1860). Ports visited during the half-year 22 July 1915 to 27th November 1915 are Ayr, Tiree, Ardrossan and Colonsay. The remains of the Mary Stewart can still be seen in Scarinish Harbour.
Click here to view 2016.58.4
Page from the official log book of the Mary Stewart, 1915, listing the crew as Master Donald MacLean (b.1860) and crew John MacLean (b.1885), Hugh MacLean (b.1891) and Neil MacLean (b.1898), all of Tiree. They joined the ship in 1914 and were discharged at Ayr in 1915. The remains of the Mary Stewart can still be seen in Scarinish Harbour.
Click here to view 2016.58.3
Colour photograph of a painting of the ‘Mary Stewart’ in full sail. The original painting is in the family of David Roberts (1849-1897), a native of Anglesey, who was the master on the Mary Stewart, and possibly part owner, from about 1886 to 1897. The remains of the Mary Stewart can still be seen in Scarinish Harbour.