Stoneware bottle made by R. White, London (regd). It would have been stoppered with a cork.
Robert & Mary White started selling ginger beer in 1845 from their home in Camberwell. By 1869, they had five factories. The company was taken over by Whitbread in the 1960s, and by Britvic in 1986. The bottles could be returned: “R White’s ginger beer goes off pop, a penny on the bottle when you take it to the shop“. Stealing the bottles and making drinks to sell in another manufacturer’s name was a common offence – hence the ‘regd’ mark.
Bound composition titled ‘A Visit to Coll’ by Catriona Smyth, 2002. Contains photographs of gravestones in the old and new graveyards on Coll, and a transcription of their inscriptions. Names include Lightbody, MacDougall, Ferguson, Fainges, Taylor, MacKinnon, MacCalum, MacFadyen and McPadyen. War graves include a Royal Marine of the ‘Viknor’, Harvey or Gibson of the ‘Racoon’, Pontus of the ‘Arandor Star’, and several unamed sailors of the Merchant Navy.
Printed copy of full text for ‘Give us more land and give it to us now – demands for new crofts and Balephetrish after World War I’ by Bob Chambers, 2018. Includes images of letters written in 1919 to the secretary of the Board of Argiculture for Scotland from Cath MacKinnon, to Sir William Sutherland, MP for Argyllshire, from Archibald MacLean, and to an authority from Hector MacLean. (held digitally in An Iodhlann)
Photocopied academic paper ‘Glasgow pottery at Delftfield: three unrecorded documents’ by Nancy Valpy, 1985, pertaining to the Duke of Argyll’s permission to extract naturally-occurring clay from Tiree for use by the Glasgow Delftfield Pottery in the mid-1700s. “It contains an interesting reference to Scarinish.”
Abstract of PhD thesis ‘Vegetation history, human impact and climate change during prehistory: an island perspective of the Isles of Tiree, Coll and North-West Mull’ by Karen Wicks, University of Reading, 2012. Based on pollen analyses of peat core samples. A digital copy of the full thesis is held on An Iodhlann’s computer.
Hardback book`The Land of the Hills and the Glens` by Seton Gordon, 1920. Illustrated portrayal of the Hebrides and the west coast of Scotland (Tiree pages 158-167). On the inside front cover is written “For Peter Anderson. With best wishes from the Author. March 1921”. Peter Anderson was the first gamekeeper on Tiree, appointed in 1886.
Black & white photograph of Hugh Fullarton, son of Annie Cameron, Balevullin (ca 1880-1965), collecting water from the well on the other side of the bridge from Annie’s house in around 1965. The well was the water supply for the house. It is no longer visible.
Black & white photograph of a daughter and grandson of Annie Cameron, Balevullin (ca 1880-1965), in front of the shed belonging to Neil McNeil, in around 1965. The shed was adjacent to Annie’s house, which is just visible on the left. Annie moved to Greenock when she was young, although her children and grandchildren spent summers in the house until it was sold and demolished in around 2003.