Hardback book`The Land of the Hills and the Glens` by Seton Gordon, 1920. Illustrated portrayal of the Hebrides and the west coast of Scotland (Tiree pages 158-167). On the inside front cover is written “For Peter Anderson. With best wishes from the Author. March 1921”. Peter Anderson was the first gamekeeper on Tiree, appointed in 1886.
Black & white photograph of Hugh Fullarton, son of Annie Cameron, Balevullin (ca 1880-1965), collecting water from the well on the other side of the bridge from Annie’s house in around 1965. The well was the water supply for the house. It is no longer visible.
Black & white photograph of a daughter and grandson of Annie Cameron, Balevullin (ca 1880-1965), in front of the shed belonging to Neil McNeil, in around 1965. The shed was adjacent to Annie’s house, which is just visible on the left. Annie moved to Greenock when she was young, although her children and grandchildren spent summers in the house until it was sold and demolished in around 2003.
Collection of 11 photographs (printed from pdf files) of the house and family of Annie Cameron, Balevullin (ca 1880-1965), and information from her grandson emailed in 2018. Three photos are catalogued separately under 2019.32.2 to 2019.32.4.
Black & white photograph of the gravestone of Donald Brown (1864-1947), his wife Matilda Hansina Brown (nee Petersen) (1874-1960), and their son John Edward Brown (1898-1906) in Yeppoon Cemetery, Australia. Donald emigrated to Australia in 1886. His parents were Hugh Brown and Anne Kennedy of Moss.
Black & white aerial photograph of ‘Main Camp’ in Farmborough, Yeppoon, Australia, built as the family home by Donald Brown (1864-1947), who emigrated to Australia in 1886. His parents were Hugh Brown and Anne Kennedy of Moss.
Information about Donald Brown of Tiree and Australia (1864-1947). He emigrated to Australia in 1886. His parents were Hugh Brown and Anne Kennedy of Moss. Material includes transcripts of a biography written in Yeppoon, Australia in 1925, a description of ‘Main Camp’ where he lived and farmed, an account of the death of one of his sons in 1906, an obituary in the Rockhampton Morning Bulletin, 1947.
Sail-maker’s awl for creating holes in the sail cloth before sewing. Made at a local smiddy. From a collection of sail-maker’s tools belonging to Hector MacKinnon, owner of the schooner ‘Coll Castle’ (Eachann a’ Cholla, born ca 1847).