Large black & white studio photograph of an unidentified young woman in around the late 1800s.
The portrait was donated by the aunt (by marriage) of Denis Garnham, who came to Tiree in the late 1950s to work on OS surveys, and then at the bank. The portrait hung in a Nissan hut at Balinoe in which Denis lived while on Tiree, and he took it with him when he left the island. Denis referred to the picture as “the little old lady of Balinoe”, and he took it all over Scotland with him.
We have tried to find out who she is and why she meant so much to Denis, but these remain a mystery. If you have any ideas, we would love to hear from you.
The photograph was originally mounted on canvas in a large ornate wood and gilt frame, which had to be removed due to its poor condition.
Black & white photograph of Rev Dr Dugald MacFarlane (1869-1956), Moderator of the Church of Scotland during 1937-1938. Dugald was one of the sons of the Rev Duncan MacFarlane and Catherine MacLachlan (both of Tiree), who lived at Baugh Manse.
Printed scan of a page from the Electoral Register for Tiree for 1931, showing the donor’s relatives Quinten Henderson and Mrs Marianne Henderson living at Ernal [Taigh Henderson, Eirneal, Gott].
Quintin McGill Henderson was born in Glasgow 1862. He worked as an electrical engineer. He retired around 1927 was last on the electoral roll for his home in Glasgow in 1928-29. In summer of 1929 he is recorded as living at Ernal, Scarinish, Isle of Tyree. Quintin died on 7 April 1934 at his daughter’s home in Glasgow. His second wife was Mary Ann Grant Callan, born in 1875 in Glasgow. She died in 1933 (information from his granddaughter Sheena Peckham).
Printed scans from the register of the Royal Humane Society of London, 1869, showing the entry for Captain Archibald Brown, Mannal, and his crew who saved three of the crew of the ‘Maria & Fanny’ when it was stricken on rocks near Kenavara in August 1868. The Society awarded the Captain Brown the silver medal for bravery and his crew bronze medals. The crew were Neil Sinclair, Archibald MacLean snr, Archibald MacLean jnr, John Black, Duncan MacLean, Thomas Campbell and Archibald Brown.
Information about the MacFarlanes of Balinoe and Elgin, 1858-1876, including the (1) marriage certificate for Rev James MacFarlane, Balinoe, and Isabella Farquharson, Cornaig, on Tiree in 1858, (2) death certificate for Isabella MacFarlane in Elgin in 1865, (3) 1871 Elgin census record listing James MacFarlane, (4) death certificate for James MacFarlane, 1876. Includes additional family history information emailed by the donor.
After their marriage in 1858, the MacFarlanes moved to Elgin where James took up the position of Baptist Minister. When Isabella died, aged only 34 years, she left three children: Archibald (b. ca 1860), Margaret (b. ca 1861) and Mary. In the 1871 census, Mary is living in Oban with her mother’s sister, Eliza. It is presumed that Mary stayed with the Whytes in Oban and that she is the ‘other Mary’ referred to in Duncan MacGregor Whyte’s letters to his wife Mary Bernard when he was in Australia. The Whytes were artists who built The Studio in Balephuil.
Black & white photograph of the gravestone of Donald Brown (1864-1947), his wife Matilda Hansina Brown (nee Petersen) (1874-1960), and their son John Edward Brown (1898-1906) in Yeppoon Cemetery, Australia. Donald emigrated to Australia in 1886. His parents were Hugh Brown and Anne Kennedy of Moss.
Black & white aerial photograph of ‘Main Camp’ in Farmborough, Yeppoon, Australia, built as the family home by Donald Brown (1864-1947), who emigrated to Australia in 1886. His parents were Hugh Brown and Anne Kennedy of Moss.
Information about Donald Brown of Tiree and Australia (1864-1947). He emigrated to Australia in 1886. His parents were Hugh Brown and Anne Kennedy of Moss. Material includes transcripts of a biography written in Yeppoon, Australia in 1925, a description of ‘Main Camp’ where he lived and farmed, an account of the death of one of his sons in 1906, an obituary in the Rockhampton Morning Bulletin, 1947.
Sail-maker’s awl for creating holes in the sail cloth before sewing. Made at a local smiddy. From a collection of sail-maker’s tools belonging to Hector MacKinnon, owner of the schooner ‘Coll Castle’ (Eachann a’ Cholla, born ca 1847).