Lapel or cap badge of RAF 518 Squadron found on a sports field in South Island, New Zealand, in 2019 (32 x 20 mm). Made in Birmingham by HW Miller – medal, badge and button manufacturers since the 1930s. 518 Squadron – Meteorological Observers was stationed on Tiree during WWII. Only a handful of New Zealand men served at RAF Tiree, and it is presumed that the badge belonged to one of them and was dropped on his returned to New Zealand. The badge depicts a hand holding a key with the inscription ‘Tha an Iuchair againn-ne / We hold the key’.
post_type Array (  => post  => page  => object  => quote ) end
is_post_type_archive <> 'object'
Black & white photograph of officers and crew of RAF 518 Squadron on Tiree in 1943. Eric Crow is pictured front row, second from right. He “was a great one for organising social events, dances, etc.” (see 2019.37 for event photos).
Colour photographs of the thatched houses at Sandaig in 1988. The row of houses and barns was renovated by the Hebridean Trust, using traditional marram grass, and opened to the public as a museum. It closed in 2010 and was sold into private ownership. It has since been renovated again and the roofs replaced with reed thatch and black felt.
Black & white photograph of L-R: Katie MacPhail, Harry Stanley, May MacPhail (nee MacKinnon, teacher on Tiree), and Alec Hector MacPhail (May’s husband), at Clachan in the 1930s. Katie was the sister of Captain Lachlan MacPhail (1889-1961), and Alec Hector his nephew.
Black & white photograph of brothers Hector MacPhail and Alec Hector MacPhail with their dog Nelson, at the door of the family home at Clachan in the 1930s. Hector and Alec Hector were brothers of Captain Lachlan MacPhail (1889-1961).
Black & white photograph of the home of Captain Lachlan MacPhail (1889-1961), at Clachan, from the shore in the 1930s.
Black & white photograph of the home of Captain Lachlan MacPhail (1889-1961), at Clachan, in the 1930s.
Hand-coloured photograph of Mairi MacPhail, wife of Captain Lachlan MacPhail, Clachan and Glasgow (1889-1961), and their three daughters L-R: Isabel, Catherine and Margaret (seated), at ‘Taigh Mairi Lang’, Cornaigbeg, in around the 1930s.