Black and white photograph of Donald O. MacLean and Johnny Brown in 1936.
Church Hall, Scarinish, 1936. L-RL Donald O. Maclean and Johnny Brown. Willie Bunting`s van is third in line.
Inside Calum Salum’s shop
Photograph of the interior of Malcolm MacLean’s shop in Salum.
Courtesy of Mr Iain MacKinnon
The most famous shop in the east end of Tiree was run by Malcolm MacLean, universally known as ‘Calum Salum’. He started the business in 1938, and expanded after the War into an old RAF hut from the airfield.
He sold a wide range of goods – tins of food, paraffin, methylated spirits for Tilley lamps, crockery, gas cookers, radios and their batteries, and even larger farm equipment, including tractors. He was the first man to sell bottled gas on the island and was amongst the first on Tiree to set up a windmill on his house to generate electricity.
Sometimes dealing with the paperwork took second place to all his other activities. Inside the house at Salum, the dining table would often be covered with letters and accounts waiting to be dealt with. His favourite saying was: “It’s here, but where?”
Black and white photograph of Calum Salum`s shop.
Calum Salum`s shop in the 1950s. L-R: unknown, unknown, unknown, Bella MacLean (Bella Mhialum), Calum Salum, unknown, unknown, headmaster Donald O. MacLean.
Black and white photograph of the MacLeans at Cornaigmore School.
The MacLeans at Cornaigmore School in the 1920s or 1930s. L-R: (back row) headmaster D.O. MacLean, Janet, Grace, Mary and her brother John; (middle row) Archie (Lochside), Catriona , Flora, Mary Margaret, Mary (Port na Criche), Alasdair (brother of Mary and John), John (Lochside); (front) Donald (Ardbeg) and Hugh.
Scan of first report about the Met Station at Cornaig dated September 1926.
First report dated 15-17/9/1926 made by J. J. Somerville about the site, outfit, exposure and observer of the Met Station at Cornaig School and the possibility of installing a phone line.
Photocopied letter from Donald O. Maclean dated 7/9/1925 to Major Goldie at the Edinburgh Met Office.
Letter from Donald O. Maclean dated 7/9/1925 to Major Goldie at the Edinburgh Met Office about the erection of a telephone line to Cornaigmore and the five individuals prepared to stand guarantor for the annual running cots.
Photocopied letter to the Superintendent of the Edinburgh Met Office dated 27/8/1925 from the Argyll County Clerk.
Letter to the Superintendent of the Edinburgh Met Office dated 27/8/1925 from the Argyll County Clerk approving the headmaster D. O MacLean to run the Met Station at Cornaigmore.
Photocopied letter to the Superintendent of the Edinburgh Met Office dated 17/8/1925 from the Air Ministry Met Office in London.
Letter from the Superintendent of the Edinburgh Met Office dated 17/8/1925 from the Air Ministry Met Office in London asking for arrangements for establishing the Met Station at Cornaigmore to proceed as soon as the telegraph wire is installed. The weather observations to be taken and despatched are listed.