Transcript of a Police Report submitted to Tobermory Procurator Fiscal by John MacDougall (Constable) regarding the loss of the smack Mary and Catherine of Tyree, on 3 September 1873. The Mary and Catherine was owned by James MacFadyen (Scarinish) and was wrecked at Freslan (possibly Friesland) near Arinagour in the Isle of Coll while coming from Ardnamurchan with sheep belonging to Thomas Barr (farmer, Balephetrish) and John Paterson (shepherd, Tiree).
Booklet about the history of agriculture on Tiree, with reference to livestock, sales, cattle shows, vets, animal health, butchers, hens, potatoes, bulbs, seaweed and Gaelic words. Researched by Dr John Holliday for a summer exhibition at An Iodhlann.
Two copies of the Highland Land League publication `Tiree Food Producers Sent To Prison`.
Land League publication about the proceedings in Oban Sheriff Court in April 1918 when eight Tiree crofters were indicted with land raiding at Balephetrish. The crofters named are Hugh MacPhail (b. 1845); Archibald Kennedy (b. 1863); John MacLean (b. 1865); William MacPhail (b. 1873); Hugh MacLean (b. 1857); John MacInnes (b. 1870); Hector MacDougall (b. 1845); Hector MacLean (b. 1871). From the papers of the late Sandy MacKinnon, Crossapol.
Audio cassette recording of Janet MacIntosh of Scarinish talking to Maggie Campbell on 21/5/2004.
Janet MacIntosh of Urvaig talks to Maggie Campbell in May 2004 about her schooldays in Balemartine, her childhood and wartime memories, Sunday customs, her travels round Scotland as a pilgrim, women’s clothing and work, baptisms in Tiree, the 19th century Baptist revival on the Ross of Mull, the Community Council, differences between the east and west of Tiree, self education, second sight and ghost stories, Tiree Bards, the hardness of life in the past with poverty, disease and the death of children; Janet finishes by singing a hymn composed by Neil MacDonald of Kilmoluaig
Photograph of Clydesdale horses at Scarinish harbour in the late 19th or early 20th century.
Courtesy of Mr Angus Munn
This photograph, taken before Gott Bay pier was finished in 1913 shows Clydesdale horses from Tom Barr’s farm at Balephetrish being loaded on to a lighter at Scarinish for transportation to the steamer standing off in deeper water outside the harbour.
The horses would be loaded by ramp on to the main deck of the steamer, an operation that could only be attempted in calm weather. Passengers were likewise ferried to and from the steamer by lighter, sometimes sharing the boat with livestock.
Tom Barr, the son of an Ayrshire farmer and the tenant of Balephetrish farm from 1864 to 1913, introduced the first Clydesdale stallions to Tiree in the 1870s. Cross-bred with native ponies, the Tiree Clydesdale was in great demand in the early 20th century.
Black and white photograph of horses being loaded into a lighter at Scarinish harbour.
Horses from Tom Barr`s farm at Balephetrish being loaded into a lighter at Scarinish pier for transportation to the ferry in the early 20th century.