Associated People: Anderson, Mr Peter, Tiree (1855 - )

1997.175.1

Outside the general store in Scarinish in 1910

Photograph of Calum MacLean, Hugh MacArthur and Peter Anderson outside the general store in Scarinish in 1910.

e1.jpg

Courtesy of Mr Angus MacLean

Calum MacLean, Hugh MacArthur and Peter Anderson are pictured in 1910 outside the shop in Scarinish owned and run by Hugh and his brother Dan. As well as a general store, the building contained a Post Office and a hardware department upstairs

Calum MacLean (Calum Bùidsear) from Moss opened a butcher’s shop in Scarinish in 1930s on a site previously housing a baker and cobbler. The business was taken over by Donald and Nan MacLean in 1953.

Peter Anderson came to Tiree in 1886 as the island’s first gamekeeper. A keen ornithologist, he published ‘The Birds of the Island of Tiree’ in ‘The Scottish Naturalist’ in 1913

Black and white photograph of Scarinish shop in 1910.

Scarinish shop, 1910. L-R: Calum MacLean (butcher in Scarinish), Hugh MacArthur (partner in shop), Peter Anderson (gamekeeper). (Original photograph 1997.178.1)